Monday 16 February 2015

Cost of Living in Nairobi-schools, housing, food and etc.


For most of us, cost of living is one big question.

Before we moved here, compared with other western countries, I pictured Nairobi to be a very reasonably priced city (ok I am going to be honest, I thought the 'Cost of Living in Nairobi' would be cheap!), in terms of housing, food, schools, transportation and so on. To my surprise, this was not the case. Here are some facts:

Housing: The first shock I got was when we were looking for a house. If you want to get a house, either a standalone or one in a gated compound, be prepared. The price can be close to the prices in Europe. Probably, some of you will say I am either exaggerating or do not know what I am talking about. In Nairobi, there are specific areas for foreigners/expats. If you are not so adventurous you have got to live one of these expat areas, such as Karen, Runda, Gigiri, Muthaiga, Rosslyn, and maybe Wetlands or Kileleshwa. Since these areas have made names for themselves, and they are so-called 'safe and secure’ (do not trust this too much!), prices have gone up unreasonably. We all come from different backgrounds and have different expectations, but if you come from a place where you had a decent life, you expect a certain level of comfort. If you are single or a couple, you can still live one of these apartments, or maybe in other areas, but that is not possible if you have kids. You want to give them safety, security, space and freedom, as much as you can.  In order to get a nice and secure house, you’ve got to spend a good amount of money. Even though you are paying lots (or if you are lucky, your company is paying for it), do not expect much because of the poor quality of construction. By the time you are done with repairs, it will probably be the time for you to move!! And if you want to have a generator and extra water tank (after living here for over a year now, those are a MUST), you have to pay for them from your pocket (some companies cover it, some do not). But trust me-- with so many power and water cuts, you have to have them! Most companies have an upper limit for housing, and in some cases, it is only enough for an apartment....

Electronics, food and etc.: Here is another shocker-- the cost of food, housing products, electronics, and appliances. Most products that we are accustomed to using are imported, and they are highly taxed. Even though you can find them, they are not of good quality (I personally experienced this firsthand). So, I definitely recommend that you bring as much of your stuff as possible, anything you can think of. 


Schools: I hope your company pays for 100% of this, it is a huge burden because international schools are expensive!  The average cost is 12K to 18K (in US Dollars) per year (remember where are in Africa). This can go up or down depending on your kid’s age, but expect something around it. So here is a good reason for you or your husband to negotiate with the company. I have some friends whose company does not pay school fees, and some companies have a limit. 

Transportation: I have never used public transportation; it is mostly used only by locals who cannot afford to buy a car.  As far as I know, there is no government run transportation system. It runs privately. Per my conversation with local people, fees change all the time. There are no government regulations. Buying a car can also be very expensive. Since all cars are imported, they are heavily taxed. What you pay is mostly tax. Generally, expats buy 4x4s, which makes sense because road conditions are very messy...but as a small size car driver, I am so far very happy. I can fit anywhere I want, and it did not cost as much as a 4x4!

Cost of domestic help: Ok, I have good news! Compared with other countries in Europe, the US, and my home country Turkey, domestic help is very cheap. Surely paying more than average is your choice (which still is very little, when you think of what you pay for imported products!). I remember my days in the US when I only had one lady who came once a week and how much I was paying her and she was not doing much...When I compare it with the USA and Kenya, I guess my home country, Turkey, is somewhere in the middle.  In Kenya, we had lots of help from wonderful local people, which I appreciate. I have two ladies who have worked for us since we moved here.  What would I do without them...just think of washing the dishes all the time...


In the end, every country has its own dynamics. There are pros and cons. It is up to us to make use of what we have and adjust. 


No comments:

Post a Comment