Wednesday 11 June 2014

Pros and cons of living in Nairobi

Here is one interesting piece. So much to write about and I have been thinking about this a lot lately. After living in here for over two years, I can provide some honest real inside info.


Pros

1- Culture: I love real Kenyan culture and people. I made many wonderful friends through daily encounters, at local shop my dear friend, John, whenever he sees me comes for help, brings me freshest mangoes and avocado (he knows I love them:)), always ask about my children, and helps me with carrying my bags. And there is my friendly florist, Ben, who always gives me the best flowers ever. There is our askari (security guard), who comes to our garden at night to check to see if everything is ok. I can count many names here, I do appreciate their smiley faces and friendly attitude.

2-Climate: Sun is out there throughout the year, it never gets too hot and too cold, best part of it there is no humidity! You can enjoy clear sky almost for 10 months!  Much anticipated rains are also welcoming, provides a nice breeze, clears the air. Rainy seasons starts around April-May, and lasts only a month, there are also short rains during the month of December.

3- Language: To be able to communicate in English is such a relief. Imagine yourself, you do not know the local language neither nobody speaks English. Life would be much harder! Luckily, English is taught as a second language at schools in Kenya, pretty much everybody speaks English very well. So you do not have to struggle to explain yourself!

4-Hospitals: Nairobi is home for best hospitals in Africa. Prestigious Aga Khan, Nairobi and Gethrude Hospitals are only few of them.

5-Domestic Staff: Domestic staff is really appreciated by many expats, they are wonderful, helpful and great asset in everyday life. By the way, expats enjoy a reputation of being the best employers in town:)

6- Safari: Where else in the world you can witness one of the best amazing life experience other than Nairobi? Nairobi itself is even a home to a national park, and it is the only city in the world! There are many conservancies and reserves, all accessible by car, only couple hours away!

7-Natural food: It is really hard to find something organic and natural these days. But Nairobi is not one of these places. Veggies and fruits are all locally grown, sold at local markets by wonderful staff. They are tasty, fresh and delicious, and have I mentioned they are cheap!

8-Booming economy: Nairobi is one of the fastest growing city in Africa. There are new shopping centres, shops, businesses open everyday. There is also a fast growing middle class in Kenya.

9-Diversity: With growing number new businesses in town there are also pretty good size of an expat community. Kids benefit growing up in a diverse environment where they get to be friends with children from all over the world. Schools, gyms, restaurants are great places to meet new people.

Cons
Here is the tricky part, where I need to be open and honest, otherwise I would be not fair.

1-Security: This is a real major concern not for expats also among Kenyans too. Petty theft, car-jacking, stopping cars, home thefts are unfortunately not uncommon. Sadly, most of these crime happen where middle to lower income Kenyans live...If you take basic precautions, and be aware of
your surroundings it will make a huge difference. I met with many people who have been living in Nairobi happily for a long time without no incidence at all.

2- Cost of living: Ok, this is not what you expect probably, but living in Nairobi is not cheap. Cost of housing, schools, generators, water pumps, dining out can be really pricey, there is a common belief that 'this is Africa, it cannot be expensive' but in reality it is! So, if you plan to come/move/visit here, do your research!

3- Water and power cuts: This is one area I am still having difficulty with adjusting even though we have all the back-up needed. There are non stop water and power cuts! There is no logical answer to say why and when! It just happens, so you better except it and do whatever you can do to manage it.

4- Traffic and Roads: There are not many/enough roads in Nairobi, on the other side more and more people who are new car owners join in! Physical conditions of the roads are very poor, there are no signs, traffic lights neither traffic rules in place. Roads are poorly maintained, especially bus and matatu drivers have no rules, they sometimes are very ruthless...Ok I created very pessimistic picture here:( Last year, Kenyan Government started a very ambitious road project since the independence which comes with lots of pain! But once it is completed, roads will have a new face in the city. So just hang-in there!

5- Corruption: It is very hard to write about this, but it is out there...unfortunately, corruption and heavy bureaucracy is a big problem. Even small things can become such a big problems....

6- Culture shock: Every country has its own culture. Africa is a continent where it comes with deep and strong ties to its own culture and differences. So being open minded, patient and accepting is the key. Unfortunately poverty is very visible in every corner, so are the peddlers. Here is the little tip, please try not be intimated by them, rather than being fearful or ignorant, keep smiling and say 'no thank you' if you do not want to buy.

7- Cost of private security: I separated this from other ones, because this can get really expensive and become such a hassle...but it is needed, either you wire your whole house, get a private security
guard, or rent a house with build-in security, it is a burden.

8- Limited retail options: Lately, I notice new stores in every shopping arcade, it is still very limited though. So most of people like me shop at home and bring them over. Even though you may find the items you are looking for they are pretty costly in here. You learn to live with only what you really need! Seriously, I live on pair of sports shoes and leggings and t-shirt:) By the way, there are great second hand shops and market, gotta try:)

I think there is so much to learn in this great continent, not only because of what I see and experience but how I also feel about life itself...

1 comment:

  1. Well. Reading pros and cons, I guess I need to consider about my Nairobi plans. If I move I will be moving from the UK, Brighton which is the most free and secure city of the country (and open for anything)

    I wonder one thing though. Can you compare one of Istanbul's zone with Nairobi in terms of security (like Fatih :D ) I know that you do not live in Istanbul for a long time. But still thinking this would be do-able. Also, do you think expats knowing French may well engage in life in Nairobi? Plus, looking forward to see you published your own book !

    ReplyDelete